Interview: Jessica Reeves

The Bookie Monster interviews Jessica Reeves, author of The Black, the White and the Grinning Grey (The Moon and the Unicorn series).

Jessica Reeves has been writing nearly all her life but has only recently tried self-publishing. She has released her first book called The Black, the White and the Grinning Grey. She writes mainly Fantasy and Science Fiction and has produced a number of short stories.
Tell us a little about yourself, your work and how you got into writing.
I have always written, but only recently found the time to dedicate to my hobby. Imagination is everything to me. Everyone one needs a little bit of escapism. That is what makes the world go round.
What five words best describe you?
Strange, deaf, wine, snigger, worrier.
If you were to create a writing soundtrack, what artists would be on it?
Queen, U2 Pink Floyd and of course David Bowie.
How do you come up with the character names in your books?
I make up words and the Google them to see if they mean anything. It is amazing what you can come up with. For example I have a character named after a sacred city and another named after a strong pain killing drug.
Do you laugh at your own jokes as you write them?
No I don't. I have to ask others whether they are funny or not.
Do you write full time or do you keep a day job?
Unfortunately due to chronic hearing lose I cannot work at the moment.
When did you decide to make a career of writing?
Quite recently I needed to focus on something and writing seemed the obvious choice.
What was your favorite moment when writing your book?
When I am in the middle of a good flow and when my hands can keep up with my head.
How long does it take you to write a book?
Months and months and months and months.
Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
Purely all from my head. Be it good or bad.
What's the one question you wish you would get asked but never do?
Would you like to write a book with me? I would like to try being a co-author. It might be fun.
OK, so, what’s next, do you already have a new project in the works?
Yes I am in the middle of the second book and the third one is milling around in my head.
Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?
I write better at two in the morning than two in the afternoon. Typical!
Did any specific author(s) motivate you to begin writing?
Too many to mention. Stanislaw Lem, P. K. Dick. To name two.
What kinds of challenges did you face when you were writing the series?
Remembering everything and remembering which notebook I wrote what it. Memory like a sieve.
You are hosting a dinner party and must invite 3 famous people. Who would you choose and why?
Agatha Christie, Freddie Mercury and Steven Fry and I would like to be the waitress so I could eavesdrop on the conversation.

In ten words or less:
  • Biggest fear?
    • Spiders
  • First item on your bucket list?
    • Breakfast at Tiffanys.
  • Happiest moment in your life to date?
    • Having my son
  • If you were a Star Trek® character, which one would it be? Why?
    • The unknown one in the red shirt that usually gets killed in the first five minutes.
  • If you could choose your last meal, what would it be?
    • Miso soup.
  • If you could meet anybody in history, past or present, who would it be?
    • It would have to be Jesus Christ.
  • If you realized that you got a free item by accident after leaving a store, would you go back and pay for it?
    • Yes, have done, can’t stand that feeling of guilt
  • How would your friends describe you in 3 words?
    • Who is she?
  • Last thing you dressed up as for Halloween?
    • Never dressed up for Halloween
  • Quirk that annoys your spouse/friends?
    • Pardon? Pardon? What did you say?
  • What is one thing that you can’t live without?
    • My cross and chain
  • What is your biggest pet peeve?
    • Burnt toast
  • Worst job ever?
    • Telesales, (you have my utter sympathy.)


Where can readers stalk you?