Interview: Rebekah Ganiere

The Bookie Monster interviews Rebekah Ganiere, author of Dead Awakenings.

Rebekah's love for stories began as a child with Shel Silverstein. She began writing her own poetry and short stories in junior high and high school and then went on to study theater in college. Ultimately she ended up going back to writing so she could stay at home with her kids. Rebekah is a member of Romance Writers of America as well as member of the board for her Fantasy, Futuristic, & Paranormal and local Los Angeles Chapters. She is also a member of the Orange County, and Young Adult RWA Chapters.
When she isn't spending time telling the stories of the characters constantly chattering inside her head, you can find her hanging out with her husband, four children and menagerie of pets. A dog, a rabbit, 2 bearded dragons, 1 Russian Tortoise and 2 Leopard Tortoises. The escaped snake has yet to be located.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by The Bookie Monster, Rebekah! 150k words in 30 days? You're a machine! I love to find other women sucked into World of Warcraft! Not like I have any time to actually play anymore. My 85 warlock is so lonely without me! =)

Give us a quick bio. A little about yourself, your work and how you got into writing.

I'm Rebekah a SAHM and writer. I started writing poetry and horror short stories when I was in junior high. I went on to pursue acting in high school and college and then turned back to writing after my kids were born. I wrote five books before even thinking about showing them to anyone. About a year ago I joined RWA and several chapters as well as a local critique group. After getting some great advice and notes on a couple of my books I started seriously studying craft and sending out my work for publishing.

What five words best describe you?

Stubborn, Self Conscious, Eccentric, Affectionate, Outspoken

Do you have a most embarrassing moment?

Yes…Yes I do. Ha-ha!

If you were to create a writing soundtrack, what artists would be on it? 

Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Christina Perri, Beyonce,

How do you come up with the character names in your books?

I don’t really know. I think of different letters in the alphabet and I feel some letters are stronger than others, so I will try to find a letter I like. For instance, "T" is a strong letter to me. So if I want a strong sounding letter then I will go from there and see if I can find a name I like. If I can't I'll try other letters. When all else fails I try websites that let me know the meanings of names.

How many people have you killed off over your career as a writer? Ever offed someone off then kicked yourself for it? 

Dozens of people. I have one character that I really loved and I didn't want to kill him off because he was so funny and great, but he needed to go because there was no way to redeem him from what he'd done. It was hard and my critique partners hated that he had died too.

Do you laugh at your own jokes as you write them?

Yes, I do! My characters surprise me all the time when they say things I never would have thought off. I start laughing or crying and my husband asks me what's wrong, and I just can't explain.

Do you feel zombie fiction is primarily a male dominated genre? What type of a response have you received being female? 

I don’t know! I've never really thought about it. I suppose there are a lot of male zombie writers, possibly because most are horror. I write romance however and so it is a completely different zombie book.

Do you write full time or do you keep a day job?

I'm a mom that homeschools her 4 kids, so that's my day job.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Depends on the book, but usually about 30 days. Dead Awakenings was originally 150k and took 30 days. So did the next one I wrote that was the same length. My third book took about two to three months to write, until the last 4 chapters. I got stuck and couldn't figure out a clever way to get out of it, so I put the book down for about a year and then finally got back to it and finished it. But everything I've written since then, have also taken me less than a month.

OK, so, what’s next, do you already have a new project in the works? 

Yes, I am finishing my edit on my book The Society. It is a Dystopian Paranormal Romance where Vampires rule. I have a Fairy Tale Retelling Series that I have written the first 3 books in and the first one, Red the Were Hunter, just finalled in a contest. I am going to self publishing the first two in the series this year.

In ten words or less:

  • Are you a morning person or a night owl? 
    • Night Owl! 
  • Biggest fear?
    • Heights and Falling. No rollercoasters! Planes are questionable.
  • Favorite TV Show?
    • Dr. Who
  • First item on your bucket list? 
    • Man… I don’t have a bucket list. I really should make one.
  • If you were a Star Trek® character, which one would it be? Why? 
    • Uhm… I don't know. I don't find any of the females to be that memorable, except the Borg Queen she was pretty awesome and Dr. Beverly, but I don't know that I would want to be either of them. Maybe Worf's wife, yes, that's a made up character, but he was tough and has a nice deep voice! And let's be honest, the Klingon's are tough!
  • If you realized that you got a free item by accident after leaving a store, would you go back and pay for it? 
    • Yes. I do that all the time when I find something in my cart I forgot to pay for.
  • Last thing you dressed up as for Halloween? 
    • Steampunk Vampire Hunter. Got my steampunk from Comic Con, it was awesome!
  • Pie or cake? 
    • Cake, always cake
  • The zombie apocalypse has begun. What zombie fighting badass would you want on your team?  
    • Daryl from The Walking Dead. That man is serious with his crossbow! My husband is pretty awesome too, he's an Eagle Scout so he's pretty handy. And my brother Jay, he's the biggest bad ass I know!

Where can readers stalk you? 
Anywhere, except my house. My husband and kids would be freaked out! I'm on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VampWereZombie
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/VampiresWerewolvesZombies
Website: www.RebekahGaniere.com
Goodreads: www.Goodreads.com/VampWereZombie
Linked in, Google+, Even on World of Warcraft if you play


Dead Awakenings - By Rebekah R. Ganiere
Evaine, a struggling New York theater student, enters an unsanctioned drug trial in an effort to pay bills.  She awakens in a derelict hospital, chained to a bed with no memory of who she is, or how she got there.  A band of pale skinned men, led by the gorgeous Luca, burst in, whisking her away to safety.

Once at Haven House, Evaine is introduced to The Family. Like them, she has become A Deader, a reanimated Undead.

Luca is hell-bent on stopping the experimentations, and killing those responsible. He has no time for a Newborn who is struggling to control her rages, hunger, and powers. Nor does he have the desire to deal with the feelings she's awakening within him.

Despite their best efforts, Evaine and Luca find their connection intensifying when suddenly, she remembers not only who she is, but also her fiancĂ©, Tristan; who is still looking for her. 

Torn between her first love and her new heart’s desire, Evaine runs back to Tristan putting everyone in danger. When a rogue faction of Deaders, called Feeders, attempts to kidnap her, Luca suspects Evaine is the key to the experiments.

Can everyone band together to keep Evaine off the cutting table of those she escaped from? Or will second death tear her away from everyone, for good?


Rebekah R. Ganiere - Books with a Bite
Dead Awakenings Now Available on Amazon & BN