Sun Poisoned by Nikki Rae Review & Free Book

Sun Poisoned
by Nikki Rae
299 Pages
Self Published, June 28, 2013
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Teen & Young Adult

Reviewed by Desiree Putaski

Sophie’s life has changed. She’s moved to New York, she’s playing music for new people, and she’s making new friends. Then there’s Myles, and the fact that he is now her boyfriend—and everyone knows it. There are a lot of new things to take in, but Sophie has no problem adjusting.

She’s not exactly normal, living in a half-human, half-vampire world, but she’s finally, truly happy. But some parts of Sophie and Myles’ old life still hide in the dark, waiting for the right opportunity to strike.

Sophie’s having nightmares again, but they aren’t about her; Myles is hiding something that she’s not sure she wants to know. And one lie will change everything. No matter how hard she tries to cover up the marks her monsters have left behind, they never truly go away, and Myles’ monsters are no different. Once again, Sophie’s caught between life and death, but this time, only she can save herself.

    


“When you love someone and they break a part of you, your soul has a tendency to fill up the cracks they leave behind. No matter how many pieces are missing.”

Nikki, Nikki, Nikki.....what have you done to me??!! I can't wait until the end to tell you all this.... it's a cliffhanger folks! I had a serious "what the hey hey" (I have little kids, so I am trying to be creative and not have potty mouth) moment at the end of this book....I kept hitting the button on my Kindle but there was nothing left...NOTHING LEFT!!! So now I have to wait for book three...super sad frowny face. But I'll be ok, eventually.

So, you read Sunshine (because I told you to and it was good and you liked it) and now you are going to read Sun Poisoned (again, because I told you to...I am working on my mind control powers here). You already know all the main players. We add a few more, but we keep all the old ones close to our heart.

Sophie and Myles are a couple...yea, she finally broke down and admitted it. They are in love...sappy, sappy love songs play in the background...but hey, it was bound to happen right? Vampire boy falls in love with broken human girl. Makes for a good story!

Sophie, Boo and Trei are living in NY, playing at Midnight (that club that Myles' friend owns) and things are going along great. Sophie is slowly learning to let her monsters go. She opens up, she grows as a person. Myles opens up a little bit more too. I already liked him, but I just learned to like him a little bit more (ok, so I am secretly still crushing on him and that does make me feel a little creepy because he's supposed to be a teenager... but maybe not so much because he really is over 400 years old and I might be old but I'm nowhere near that old!). I had less moments in this book where I wanted to slap Sophie upside the head. That's always a plus!


An Anachronism is a hit at the club. And Honus (I guess you could call them the headliner at the club...they've been there the longest and have the largest fan base) takes notice of Sophie. They ask her to play with them. She agrees and it's awesome. Her life is on track and everything seems to be going great for the time being.... now we wait for the other shoe to drop....and it does.

There is a tragic event that takes place in this book. I won't give it away. But I cried... big, ugly, body wracking sob cry. My heart broke...shattered into a million little pieces and spilled all over the floor. I still haven't picked them all up! This event breaks not only me, but knocks Sophie back down about a million rungs on the ladder she's tried so hard to climb up. I wanted to jump into the book and just hug everyone! If I tell you who else falls with her it'll give it away. So be warned that you should have a box of tissues close by while reading.

We get to know Evan (the club owner) more and we meet Ava. Evan thinks that Sophie can help Ava...befriend her, help her fit in a little more. They have a lot in common, so why not? But this turns out to be a very pivotal moment in Sophie and Myles' relationship. Sophie has a hard time digesting everything that happens. It does answer a lot of questions about Evan and Ava's relationship and how it all connects back to Michael... so that is a good thing...but what we learn sucks! (Clarification... it does not make the story suck :) The situation sucks) And out of this situation Sophie learns that Myles has lied to her.... and one lie can break down the tower of trust that has been built.

“I’m not calling you a liar, just don’t lie to me.”—Florence and the Machine

Now, I felt like Myles didn't truly lie... maybe a lie by omission of fact? He didn't give her all the details and she drew her own conclusions. We knew that he knew what conclusion she would draw, but he felt she was safer that way. I guess you could say I was 100% team Myles in this one. I know I said earlier that I had a lot less moments in this book where I wanted to smack Sophie....but at this point I wanted to grab her and shake some sense into her! I kind of got a little crazy with the need to do that. So this moment becomes the basis of book two. Sophie is totally ticked off at Myles because he lied... or left out important details...whatever. She steers clear of him...comes up with things to do so she won't have to deal with him. But she struggles with it. And you know what, she's not entirely truthful with him either! She carries her own lie, and it's a pretty big one. Her lie, coupled with the fact that she feels like he lied...well, she pushes him away.

Did Michael have anything to do with our tragic event? Myles looks into it and says no. It's never 100% clarified if he did or not. Even though he says no, it's still in the back of my mind that maybe, just maybe, Michael had something to do with it. But Michael didn't succeed in killing Sophie the first time and she went all this time thinking she never had to worry about him again....but speak of the devil and he rears his ugly head! Michael is back and he's ready to make Sophie suffer. Will she find happiness again? Will she survive this? Will the bond between Myles and Sophie ever be the same? Can they fix what is broken?

I guess we wait until book three is out to answer all those questions. Until then I will sit here picking up the pieces of my shattered heart and try to put them all back together again.

I had a lot of questions at the end of book one. And to be honest, none of those questions were answered. I still don't know why she can't remember her childhood (it wasn't even touched on in this book)....I still have no idea about her real father (again, he's not even brought up in this book)... we know a little bit more about the shared history between Myles, Evan, Ava and Michael, but we still don't know the exact reason that Michael hates Sophie so much and wants her dead. But I think we are getting there. And you know what, the answers may not mean anything when it comes to the conclusion. But I'm like a kid who wants to know a secret!

I give this book a solid 4 stars. I didn't feel so overwhelmed with information. I felt that every tidbit that was given to me was essential information. We saw our main characters develop a little further and we met some awesome new friends! I really can't wait to read the conclusion of this series. The writing only got better in this book and I have a feeling that it's going to be superb in book three. I want a happily ever after....will we get one?

Stalk this author here:
Twitter
Website
Facebook

About the Reviewer:

Desiree lives in Hampton, VA (for the time being anyway). She's a military wife, married to her best friend and busy raising three little heathens (well, still raising two anyway, one is now 18 and getting ready to leave the nest!). She is a stay at home mom and spends a lot of time having conversations with her two rescue puppies. She stays active with volunteer work through the PTA at her children's elementary school and helping out in the classroom whenever possible. She loves history (and lives in the perfect place for it!), scrapbooking, and of course reading. Her greatest adventure was living in Alaska for four years and they hope to move back there one day.

You might also like: