Interview: Patrick Rutigliano

Patrick Rutigliano grew up on a steady diet of comic books and horror movies. Making his first sale to Permuted press in 2007, he has since placed stories with several publications in addition to his first collection, Black Corners of a Blood-Red Room. The Untimely Deaths of Daryl Handy is his first independent release.

During his off time, Patrick can usually be found attempting to recreate foreign cuisine, sacrificing cardboard to his cats, and having spirited debates with his wife over the failings of Disney villains.

Keep your eyes peeled for The Bookie Monster's review of The Untimely Deaths of Daryl Handy, coming in early January!

Give us a quick bio. A little about yourself, your work and how you got into writing. 

The name’s Patrick Rutigliano. I’ve been a horror fan since my youth, absorbing everything from The Twilight Zone to Fringe. I started writing in college after becoming somewhat obsessed with H.P. Lovecraft. Making my first sale in 2007, I’ve since had numerous stories published in addition to a short story collection. I recently went the independent route and released my first novella, The Untimely Deaths of Daryl Handy. You can check it out on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Untimely-Deaths-Daryl-Handy-ebook/dp/B00EZHQKY4/ or sample it in the Free Fiction section of my blog here: http://patrickrutigliano.wordpress.com/

If you were to create a writing soundtrack, what artists would be on it? 

None. I prefer silence when I work. If we’re just talking a match in mood…hmm…NIN with asides by Motorhead.

How many people have you killed off over your career as a writer? Ever offed someone off then kicked yourself for it? 

Geez…most of my characters, honestly. And kind of, but it was necessary to the story so I can’t say it wasn’t worth the pain.

Do you feel zombie fiction is primarily a make dominated genre? 

Actually, less so than horror fiction in general. There’s still a disparity, but I know a number of successful female writers who specialize in zombies.

Do you write full time or do you keep a day job? 

I made the jump to full time about a year ago. Financial issues may force me to give it up for a bit. We’ll see.

What’s the weirdest question you’ve ever been asked in an interview? 

I was once asked to name my favorite tree. Of course, my answer was the larch…the…larch.

When did you decide to make a career of writing? 

About 2007. I’d written enough to realize I no longer had any real interest in doing anything else.

What was your favorite moment when writing your book

In The Untimely Deaths of Daryl Handy, probably my first foray into the antagonist’s head.

How long does it take you to write a book? 

A rough for a novella can take me anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. My novel took about a year.

What do you do when you are not writing? 

Reading, cooking, working out, and doting on my cats.

Do you have any advice for other writers? 

Yeah. Keep writing. It’s the only advice that matters.

Who are you reading right now? 

I actually just finished Nate Kenyon’s, Bloodstone. Good stuff!

OK, so, what’s next, do you already have a new project in the works? 

I’m currently syndicating my new novella (Bestiary) on my blog. Just check out the Free Fiction section in the link below.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it? 

Heck, don’t we all? I even wrote an article about how to deal with it: http://patrickrutigliano.wordpress.com/articles/blasting-through-writers-block/  

In ten words or less
  • Are you a morning person or a night owl? 
    • Night owl.
  • Biggest fear? 
    • Super-tight confined spaces.
  • Favorite TV Show? 
    • The X-Files (still).
  • If you were a Star Trek® character, which one would it be? Why
    • Probably Bones. We’re both curmudgeons.
  • If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
    • Teleportation. No driving ever again!
  • If you could choose your last meal, what would it be? 
    • Chicken makani with naan and gulab jamun.
  • Pie or cake? 
    • *Takes both and runs* 
  • The zombie apocalypse has begun. What zombie fighting badass would you want on your team? 
    • Ashley J. Williams. That guy just won’t go down.
  • What is the craziest thing you have ever done? 
    • Moving 500 miles to be with my fiancĂ©e (now wife).
  • Would you rather be homeless for a year or be in jail for a year? 
    • Definitely homeless. Less security, but more freedom and safety.

 Where can readers stalk you?